Page 84

No, Francine and I were never hippies, but we became very involved with the movement. The way it happened was a series of accidental events and never should have happened in the first place.

I had become friends with a young coin dealer from Atlanta, named Fred Haitt. Fred was driving a Tom’s Peanut route as a day job and going to coin shows on the weekend. From the beginning Fred talked about opening a coin shop in Atlanta. Francine and I had not be long opened our first shop so we had a lot to talk about. I had meet Fred’s wife Elaine and she was a wonderful person. They had two sons then and I think their third and last son was born after I knew them. I was about ten years older than Fred but we got along fine.

Fred told me at a show that he had found a location for his shop. It was on Peachtree at Tenth Street. It had been a record shop and he had bought the fixtures and the stock, also the lease on the building. He told me he was going to sell off all the stock put in the coin shop.

A few weeks later I ask him how he was doing and he told me that he had put in one case of coins but were selling the shop stock very well. He said he had sold so many posters that he had bought more. I remember asking him, “what is a poster”. he explained to me what kind of posters he was selling, including black light posters. A few more weeks went by and I went to his shop to see how things were doing. He said that he was selling all manner of hippie stuff. I was on the way to the Greenville Coin Show and he ask me if I wanted to carry some of that type material with me and try to sell it to the dealers. I didn’t think much of the idea until he told me that I could sell it at 50% off and that he would split half of that with me. I had know idea what I was selling but the money looked good. So I loaded up a lot of stuff and went to the coin show. I had no idea what the reaction would be from the dealers.

I unloaded at the show and starting putting the hippie stuff on top of the table. Suddenly I was swamped with dealers buying. In an hour or so I had sold everything I had and promised to ship a lot more to some dealers. It was the most money I had ever made at a coin show, several hundred dollars.

That Monday I went up to Atlanta to settle up with Fred and see if he could ship the stuff I had promised. Fred ask me if I want to try to sell the stuff. He said he would either give me half of everything I sold wholesale or if I wanted to, just buy



Back One Page